[Buildroot] kernel image size depends on toolchain?

Andreas Kuehn Andreas.Kuehn at gin.de
Wed Jun 11 07:40:07 UTC 2008

Its probably one of these "again" questions but I couldn't get a
reasonable/sound answer.

I'm building an arm rootfs and an 2.6.23.14 kernel with the actual svn
buildroot and uclibc. It works quite well but produces really large
kernel images.

Created:      Tue Jun 10 11:45:43 2008
Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
Data Size:    4528112 Bytes = 4421.98 kB = 4.32 MB

With an old toolchain I can achive regular sizes:

Created:      Tue Jun 10 13:44:26 2008
Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
Data Size:    1412792 Bytes = 1379.68 kB = 1.35 MB

Unfortunately, the old toolchain has a buggy uclibc and I need a new
one. -- How can I fix that greedy kernel thing ? --

Thanks in advance...
akuehn