[Buildroot] Still no answer for a contribution made in March

Ulf Samuelsson ulf.samuelsson at atmel.com
Thu Jun 12 19:26:16 UTC 2008

> Ulf> In August I think there will be time for implementation,
> Ulf> but we could discuss the underlying architecture before that.
>
> Yes.

How about this as a starting point?
The user can choose to define a "distribution" inside menuconfig.
There are a number of "known" distributions, which can be checked
for selection, or the user can supply free text.

The distribution is used to select a file containing package versions.

I.E:
BASH_VERSION:=1.10.3
LIBUSB_VERSION:=1.4.5
<EOF>

Any version defined here, will override the version number inside
the package makefile fragment.

All packages where this is supported, should have the patches named

There should be a makefile targer to generate such version files.

As long as the package makefile does not change, you can easily
bump package version with this method.

A user can edit a file if the default is not OK.

Best Regards
Ulf Samuelsson