[Buildroot] Problem building usbutils

hartleys hartleys at visionengravers.com
Wed Jun 18 21:41:36 UTC 2008

Peter Korsgaard write:
> > 1) usbutils requires libusb This was the easy one. I just
> > needed to select the libusb package. But, shouldn't the
> > Config.in for usbutils select it automatically?
>
> Yes, fixed in trunk.
>
> > 2) configure for usbutils outputs error: get libusb 0.1.8
> > or newer Not sure how to fix this one. The libusb in
> > buildroot is 0.1.12. It built fine and the library is in my
> > build_arm/staging_dir/usb/lib directory. For some reason
> > it's not being found. Can anyone offer so insite on what I
> > might have setup wrong?
>
> Strange, it builds here (i386).
>
> Could you provide more details, please?

Hello Peter,

I'm building for an arm platform using an extern uclibc-based toolchain.

The libusb package builds fine in build_arm/libusb-0.1.12 and library
file is placed in the build_arm/staging_dir/usr/lib directory. And when
the final root filesystem is created the library file is in
root/usr/lib.

If I then enable the usbutils package and try to run the build it gets
to the configure stage for usbutils and stops at:

Checking for usb_get_string_simple in -lusb... No
Configure: error: get libusb 0.1.8 or newer

I looked at the source for libusb-0.1.12 and the usb_get_string_simple
function does exist in usb.c and is prototyped in usb.h so it should be
available.

The only thing I can figure is the make process is not including my
build_arm/staging_dir/usb/lib in the library search path.

Is there anyway to output this information to verify?

Thanks,
Hartley