[Buildroot] Problem patching linux

Will Wagner will_wagner at carallon.com
Fri Mar 14 12:55:14 UTC 2008

Hi All,

I have a custom board in target/device/my_board. Inside that folder I
have a kernel_patches folder and I have changed the config so that it
should apply my patches.

It all works when applying the patches for the kernel headers, but it
fails to patch the actual kernel. This is because of the different ways
the patch-kernel.sh script is called.

In kernel-headers-new.makefile it is:
	toolchain/patch-kernel.sh $(LINUX_HEADERS_UNPACK_DIR)
$(KERNEL_HEADERS_PATCH_DIR) \
		\*.patch{,.gz,.bz2}

But in the linux Makefile.in it is:
	toolchain/patch-kernel.sh $(LINUX26_DIR) $(KERNEL_HEADERS_PATCH_DIR) \
		linux-$(LINUX26_VERSION)-\*.patch{,.gz,.bz2}

The regex is much tougher when actually patching the kernel. The problem
I have it that my patch files are all in this format:

012-linux-2.6.22.19-some_patch

I need the numbers at the beginning to ensure they get patched in the
right order.

How should I fix this? How should my patch files be named? Is this just
a bug in the patching of the kernel?

Thanks,

Will.
Will Wagner                                     will_wagner at carallon.com
Senior Project Engineer                  Office Tel: +44 (0)20 7371 2032
Carallon Ltd, Studio G20, Shepherds Building, Rockley Rd, London W14 0DA