[Buildroot] question about /tftpboot

Ulf Samuelsson ulf.samuelsson at atmel.com
Tue Mar 25 15:12:06 UTC 2008

>>> There is a symbol BR2_LINUX_COPYTO to adjust that. Some time ago I found
>>> it broken by the target/linux/Makefile.in.advanced file and I proposed a
>>> patch in this bug report: http://bugs.uclibc.org/view.php?id=2384
>>>
>>> Maybe the situation is better now.
> >
> >The linux kernel should possibly be copied several times, and
> >you cannot use a single symbol for this.
>
> Thanks Ulf for your hint, but did you have a more precise example ? I
> observed that only the Atmel targets uses a second symbol
> BR2_TARGET_ATMEL_COPYTO.
>
> I have updated my two proposed patchs
> http://bugs.uclibc.org/view.php?id=2384 and
> http://bugs.uclibc.org/view.php?id=2394 to match the current SVN head.
> There don't change the fact that there is two symbols, there only make
> the COPYTOP symbols possibly work if the tftpboot directory is anything
> other than "/tftpboot" like this is more and more the case on the new
> distributions.
>
> The idea to use only one symbol cam after I see that there is two of
> them for Atmel targets. I still don't see why something would go wrong
> if the BR2_TARGET_ATMEL_COPYTO will be replaced by the BR2_LINUX_COPYTO.

Not running Linux on my laptop at the moment, so I cannot check the svn
but as I see it, you want to be able to copy the linux image to

1) BINARIES_DIR
2) root file system (option)
3) A place where it is easy to download to the target using tftp,
    which defaults to "/tftpboot".
    It is OK, to make this programmable as long the default is used.
    As an option, we could add a shell symbol "BUILDROOT_TFTP_DIR"
    which overrides the menuconfig.

Best Regards
Ulf Samuelsson