[Buildroot] Unable to login with slow clock & MTD enabled

Mike Sander msander at ripnet.com
Fri May 9 19:13:41 UTC 2008

To all,

My target is an at91sam9260EK.  I have enabled MTD so I can mount data
flash.  At the "normal" (~200 mhz) processor speed everything works well.

We intend to run the target at a slower speed.   With a clock speed of a
leisurly 18 mhz the system boots to a command prompt.     However after
entering "root" at the login prompt,  I get the normal "login from
ttyS0" message but then within a couple of seconds the system puts up
the login prompt once more.

If I simply rebuild the kernel with MTD disabled I can boot and login
normally at the slow clock speed.

Anyone have any ideas how a slow processor speed, and MTD can affect the
login process?    I have some suspicion that the SPI is not configured
(or operating) correctly with the slow clock speed.  How this relates to
login problems is what has me intrigued.   Any suggestions on how to
debug failed login?

Cheers,

Mike