[Buildroot] When NOT to use buildroot

Fredrik Israelsson fredrik_is at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 13 08:57:50 UTC 2008

Hi!
I think it would help a lot if I could get some information regarding when NOT to use buildroot.

For instance,
if I would like to build a system that is almost like an embedded system, but a bit more capable (read bloated), would it get too complicated building the system from the ground up using buildroot?

I am thinking of using a not so tiny database, like PostgreSQL or MySQL, a rich GUI, perhaps using Java. At the same time I would really like to not use more of the OS that the system needs.

What about using CUPS or some other utility to provide flexible printer support? Would I be better off if I chose to strip down Ubuntu 8.04, for instance, in order to gain support for jacking in USB printers?

My main reason for keeping the OS tiny is simplicity. Hard drive size is not a limitation.

Regards,
Fredrik