[Buildroot] When NOT to use buildroot

Roberto A. Foglietta roberto.foglietta at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 11:30:27 UTC 2008

2008/11/13 Fredrik Israelsson <fredrik_is at hotmail.com>:
> Hi!
> I think it would help a lot if I could get some information regarding when
> NOT to use buildroot.
>
> For instance,
> if I would like to build a system that is almost like an embedded system,
> but a bit more capable (read bloated), would it get too complicated building
> the system from the ground up using buildroot?
>
> I am thinking of using a not so tiny database, like PostgreSQL or MySQL, a
> rich GUI, perhaps using Java. At the same time I would really like to not
> use more of the OS that the system needs.
>
> What about using CUPS or some other utility to provide flexible printer
> support? Would I be better off if I chose to strip down Ubuntu 8.04, for
> instance, in order to gain support for jacking in USB printers?
>
> My main reason for keeping the OS tiny is simplicity. Hard drive size is not
> a limitation.

Hi Fredrik,

 simplicity = a good package manager + an update support

 this sound me like:

 - debian
 - ubuntu server edition (my preference)
 - gentoo (or gentoo embedded)

 As simple as possible for what? Who cares if a server is a little bit
bloated (apart security reasons which force you to remove everything
is not useful)? The admin cares in doing the most of things in the
less time. Administrative tools should be as simple as possible,
reliable, etc. etc. I think you are good in looking for simplicity but
you are looking in the wrong direction: do not care about bloating the
system until hard disk space is a limitation and until it hurts
security but care about simple administrative procedure and tools.
Services like: upgrade and security audit, etc. etc.

 Ciao,
--
/roberto