[Buildroot] Buildroot with a custom kernel

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Tue Oct 7 03:10:38 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 07:57:05PM +0200, Bussmann, Paul wrote:
> > 2) tarball up your custom kernel and place it in the dl dir.  Make
> > sure you name is according to what you have in your buildroot config
> > for the kernel version.  BR will then assume you've already dl'ed the
> > kernel and use your version.
>
> I already tried this with 2.6.17 on ARM. Resulting in everything _looked_ fine at first but my board instantly rebooted when I tried to use TCP stuff. It is indeed related to BR's toolchain, because if I use the manufacture's (Ka-Ro) toolchain to compile the kernel, it works.
> So I asked on this mailing list about getting a 2.6.17-supporting Buildroot environment (2008-08-25) with the following answer (2008-08-26):
>
> > 2.6.17 was released around Jun 18  2006. I'd ask those people for a
> > vaguely recent kernel.
>
> So I'd be very interested if you have similar success.
>
> See http://www.nabble.com/Linux-Kernel-2.6.17-support-in-Buildroot-tt19139626.html#a19139626

I had 2.6.15 running with a buildroot-compiled gcc 4.1.2 without issue.

I have my own customised kernel with the whole source checked in (not a
tarball). I can probably share the makefiles later this week, or add
some support to buildroot for it. It's a bit messy as the kernel's
support for out-of-tree builds is a bit weird.

I'm now using a much more recent kernel, but we have various changes and I'd
rather not just maintain them as a set of patches (too tedious).

Hamish