[Buildroot] The issue is link_all_deplibs libtool config variable

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Thu Oct 9 09:43:43 UTC 2008

Le Tue, 7 Oct 2008 16:56:10 +0200,
Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com> a écrit :

> The ../src/.libs/libfontconfig.so properly references the .la files of
> libexpat and libfreetype. If I had these path to the .la files to the
> big libtool command line, then it links properly.
>
> Any clue about this problem ?

It seems that the problem is caused by libtool configuration variable
"link_all_deplibs" being set to "no".

This problem has been reported here:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=297726. It seems that
setting link_all_deplibs to yes works for native compilation, but not
from cross-compilation. The patch seems be to be Debian-specific, and
I'm an Ubuntu user, so I inherited this patch.

As a quick and gory hack, I modified the configure to replace all
instances of link_all_deplibs=no by link_all_deplibs=yes. And the
compilation now works properly.

What's the proper way of fixing this ?

Thanks,

Thomas