[Buildroot] ext2+isofs initrd too big

Roberto A. Foglietta roberto.foglietta at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 18:57:40 UTC 2008

Hi,

 using buildroot I have compiled a system which is big enough to not
fit in the initrd image (default size is 4Mb but could be enlarged by
kernel .config). Attached patch prepare a initrd of 16Mb and I can
enlarge it more in order to put all my system inside. However this is
not the best solution because has no future itself, initrd image could
not enlarged forever.

 I think the good approach should be:

 a) having a buildroot project with kernel, modules, static busybox
which generate a boot-able iso with initrd.
 b) having another buildroot project with everything which generate a
ext2 loop file system.

 The project a) should have a rc.S which mount the ext2 loop (or
equivalent) and jump on it. I could do it by myself and my question
is: do you think is there any better way to do it? What could be the
best way in order to include this behaviour into buildroot?

 Thanks in advance,
--
/roberto