[Buildroot] ext2+isofs initrd too big

Roberto A. Foglietta roberto.foglietta at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 10:55:30 UTC 2008

2008/10/19 Bernhard Reutner-Fischer <rep.dot.nop at gmail.com>:
> On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 12:00:13PM +0200, Roberto A. Foglietta wrote:

>>>  a) stripping modules (previous patch was wrong, see below)
>>>
>>>  Using strip on .ko does not work at all without --strip-unneeded.
>>>
>>>  http://mailman.uclinux.org/pipermail/uclinux-dev/2007-January/041616.html
>>>
>>>  strip -R  .comment -R .note -g --strip-unneeded
>>>

>> Stripping modules belong to the kernel Makefile.in and Makefile.in.advanced
>>
>> Declaring INSTALL_MOD_STRIP=1 in modules_install should be enough,
>>however find,xargs,strip has been added also.
>>
>> Ciao,
>>--
>>/roberto
>

>> linux26-modules: cross-depmod26 $(LINUX26_DIR)/.modules_installed
>>+      find $(TARGET_DIR)/lib/modules/$(LINUX26_VERSION) -name \*.ko | xargs strip -R .comment -R .note -g --strip-unneeded
>
> This is wrong. Proper thing to do is $(STIPCMD) $(STRIP_STRIP_UNNEEDED)

a) Ok with s,STIPCMD,STRIPCMD, thanks for the answer.

 do you think it could be useful have a menuconfig option to strip
modules in order to include it into buildroot svn?

b) is useless, dropped.

 I would add another question

c) what is the smallest X11 fonts set?

 I am going to produce a demo for Italian Linux day (next saturday).

 Cheers,
--
/roberto