[Buildroot] docs/buildroot.html - package make file make command overrides configure script CC setting

Bernhard Reutner-Fischer rep.dot.nop at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 12:38:21 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 04:36:53AM -0700, John Schimandle wrote:
>I've been stumbling through adding a package to buildroot. Although I did
>make a successful package I did find a potential problem with the
>documenation, buildroot usage and documentation document at
>docs/buildroot.html specifically the section entitled "Extending Buildroot
>with more software". This section describes the package make file in
>package/name/name.mk. It shows an example of the file which I think is
>incorrect. Lines 33 and 34 specify a make statement that overrides the
>variable settings of CC that are set in configure. The overriding action
>causes all makes within the package to have the CC variable set to TARGET_CC
>and not the CC variable defined in the configure script. The CC variable in
>the configure script is set by TARGET_CONFIGURE_OPTS on line 22 of this
>example. TARGET_CONFIGURE_OPTS contains architecture specific information
>for the compiler which is important for some packages.
>
>Original statement in example
>
>33  $(FOO_DIR)/$(FOO_BINARY): $(FOO_DIR)/.configured
>34          $(MAKE) CC=$(TARGET_CC) -C $(FOO_DIR)
>
>I think the example should have the following statements (line 33 is
>unchanged)
>
>33  $(FOO_DIR)/$(FOO_BINARY): $(FOO_DIR)/.configured
>34          $(MAKE) -C $(FOO_DIR)

yes. I suggest you look at how often these documentation receives
updates, compared to the "code" itself..

>Now the targets see the full CC arguments that were passed to the configure
>script and were written into each Makefile in the package.
>
>I don't know if this would be valid for all packages but it seems to me that

This example should only be used for packages which do not use autotools
(autoconf / automake etc). These packages should use
package/Makefile.autotools.in and _not_ this oldish example code.

>you would want to preserve the CC variable setting that was done with the
>configure script.
>
>Again, I'm not sure how to submit this change to the buildroot tree.

"
Changes can be submitted for inclusion by posting them to the buildroot
mailing list or to the Bug and Patch Tracking System.
"
(from the webpage)