[Buildroot] Unable to create files inside mounted root filesystem

Peter Korsgaard jacmet at uclibc.org
Mon Oct 27 13:22:41 UTC 2008

>>>>> "Adam" == Adam McLaurin <buildroot at irotas.net> writes:

Hi,

 Adam> I hope this is a typical newbie question. I was finally able to
 Adam> create a root filesystem (ext2) with buildroot, and I can mount
 Adam> (-o loop) and chroot into it with no problems.

 Adam> The trouble is that I cannot create any files in the mounted
 Adam> filesystem: / # touch foo touch: foo: No space left on device

That's because genext2fs only creates the file system exactly big
enough for the buildroot files. If you want to have room for more
stuff take a look at the BR2_TARGET_ROOTFS_EXT2_BLOCKS/INODES options:

>From target/ext2/Config.in:

config BR2_TARGET_ROOTFS_EXT2_BLOCKS
        int "size in blocks (leave at 0 for auto calculation)"
        depends on BR2_TARGET_ROOTFS_EXT2
        default 0

config BR2_TARGET_ROOTFS_EXT2_INODES
        int "inodes (leave at 0 for auto calculation)"
        depends on BR2_TARGET_ROOTFS_EXT2
        default 0

 Adam> Strangely, when I mount/chroot into one of the pre-built root
 Adam> filesystems available from the uclibc website, I can create files
 Adam> without any problems.

The really old ones? They were afaik padded to 128MB.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard