[Buildroot] Synchronisation of dependencies between Config.in and .mk files ?

Roberto A. Foglietta roberto.foglietta at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 22:33:35 UTC 2008

2008/10/27 Markus Heidelberg <markus.heidelberg at web.de>:
> Thomas Petazzoni, 27.10.2008:
>> Le Mon, 27 Oct 2008 19:43:07 +0100,
>> Peter Korsgaard <jacmet at uclibc.org> a écrit :
>>
>> > Do you have any ideas about how to solve this in a nicer way?
>>
>> Not really. Maybe the Config.in read by kconfig could be generated by
>> the Makefile system. Either completely from the Makefiles, or from
>> Config.in.tmp files, parsed and modified to contain the dependencies.
>
> When reading it from the Makefiles, you couldn't automatically decide whether
> to use "select" or "depends on", because in the Makefile there is no
> difference between them.

 Reading/including only those .mk for which packages has been selected
and the meaning became always: 'select'

 I think the use of "depends on" in Config.in should be used ONLY when
arch restrictions have been involved.

 Example: I need nfs but nfs 'depends on' rpc... the first time in the
menuconfig I will waste minutes to understand I have to select rpc in
order to select nfs, why? If I want a cold beer I ask for a cold beer.
Why I have to ask "do you have the freezer pluged in", before? It is
obvious that a freezer is needed for a cold beer but it is not obvious
asking for a freezer when you are looking for a beer.

 Cheers,
--
/roberto