[Buildroot] v86d?

Steve Bennett sablists at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 5 17:19:54 UTC 2009

Hi all!

Is there a v86d package for buildroot?   I found a reference to one
being added last november as part of bug 5914 ("add 915resolution and
v86d") in a google search, but nothing beyond that.  Apparently that
bug was part of an old bug tracking system -- it doesn't seem to
exist in the new system and there's no further reference to v86d I
could find.

The main reason I ask is that I'm having no end of trouble with
Xvesa, which was my original plan of attack.  The mouse is erratic
for several seconds after you switch to X, and no amount of mucking
can get keyboard input working.  Ctrl-Alt-Fx works and that's it, and
if I add -keybd keyboard to the Xvesa command line, even *that* stops
working.  (If anyone has suggestions for these issues, I'd love to
hear them -- otherwise, I'm giving up on Xvesa...)

A search of the Xorg mailing lists reveals that Xvesa has actually
been removed from the development tree and I saw a suggestion to use
Xfbdev with uvesafb instead.  I'm a little unsatisfied with this
since it means dropping support for any video card which doesn't have
VBE 2.0, and we're trying to get this to run on things going back to
old i486 machines -- but right now the Xvesa input problems make it
unusable.

But uvesafb needs v86d.   I could add that manually, but I was
wondering if anything ever happened with adding that to buildroot?

-->Steve Bennett