[Buildroot] Buildroot and OpenEmbedded

Jean-Christian de Rivaz jc at eclis.ch
Tue Aug 25 10:44:44 UTC 2009

Bjørn Forsman a écrit :
> Funny, nobody has commented the "OE+BR merge" I mentioned. Am I the only one
> dreaming of a BR with its easy configuration combined with the package
> set provided
> by OE? But I guess the OE bitbake tool and *.bb files makes a merge
> impossible...

A possible way: Make the BR configuration tool generate the
corresponding OE configuration for the BR supported subsets.

A better way: Create a sweet OE configuration tool, capable to make BR
obsolete in term of user experience and system performance (size, speed,
etc...)

In the long term, even OE will face concurrence from even better concept
more closely related to the main current distributions. Such candidates
could be EmDebian or the future Debian Multiarch. ScratchBox have gain
more and more attention too.

Too many tools fragment the community. I also think that merging the
bests features from projects with very similar goal will be a benefit
for everyone in the long term.

Jean-Christian de Rivaz