[Buildroot] Documentation question

Michael S. Zick minimod at morethan.org
Wed Dec 9 23:07:58 UTC 2009

On Wed December 9 2009, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2009-12-09, Michael S. Zick <minimod at morethan.org> wrote:
> > On Wed December 9 2009, Grant Edwards wrote:
>
> >> I've been reading the "buildroot usage and documentation"
> >> document over the past couple days, and in order to not be a
> >> complete leech, I'm fixing various minor problems (typos,
> >> spelling, punctuation, usage, grammar, etc.) and will submmit
> >> a patch when I've finished.
> >>
> >> However, I've run across one paragraph where I think the
> >> actual content could use a tweak, and I thought I should ask
> >> about it before making a change.  In the section "Using
> >> Buildroot" there's a paragraph that describes what the
> >> top-level "make" does:
> >>
> >>    $ make
> >>
> >>      This command will download, configure and compile all the
> >>      selected tools, and finally generate a toolchain, a root
> >>      filesystem image and a kernel image (or only one of these
> >>      elements, depending on the configuration).
> >>
> >> Doesn't the toolchain have to be generated _before_ the
> >> selected tools are configured and compiled?
> >
> > Just needs some clarification.
> >
> > "Generate toolchain" in the sentence seems to mean a native
> > toolchain
>
> Ah, it hadn't occurred to me that what was meant was the native
> toolchain.
>
> > (which Buildroot can do - similar to any other package).
>
> Of course.
>
> > What you are referring too seems to be an cross-compile
> > toolchain.
>
> Indeed. I was assuming that the toolchain mentioned was the
> cross toolchain since the target-native toolchain is treated
> like any other target package.
>
> > Which does not seem to be mentioned (or maybe the native
> > toolchain isn't mentioned).
> >
> > *) Downloads (either as required, or pre-downloads all (make source))
> > *) Configures cross-compile toolchain
> > *) Builds cross-compile toolchain
> > *) Builds selected packages (optional)
> > *) Builds a native toolchain (optional, like any other "package")
> > *) Builds a kernel image (optional)
> > *) Creates a root filesystem in selectable forms (filesystem, archive, ...)
> >
> > Or something close to that - notice two (2) "toolchains"
>
> Right.  I'll re-write that paragraph to use that list of steps.
>
> Just for the sake of curiosity, how often do people generate a
> target-native toolchain with buildroot?  [I don't think any of
> the platforms I work with would have the resources available to
> use one.]

I tried just prior to 2009.11 - it seemed broke then for MIPS but
that was very early in my using Buildroot.

The system(s) I am building are after-market systems for Media
Players . . .

Which often have Tetrabytes of user-attached storage.
The processors are usually 400-650Mhz MIPS cores with at least
128Mbyte of ram, turn on swap...
Yeah, they can "self host".
Over here: http://MiniModding.com

Mike