[Buildroot] OT: git workflow question

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Wed Dec 16 19:37:28 UTC 2009

Le Wed, 16 Dec 2009 16:53:24 +0000 (UTC),
Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Since I had only changed the one file (and those changes had
> been merged into the master repository) I didn't bother trying
> to resolve the conflict -- I just blew away my repository and
> did a 'clone'.
>
> Here's my question: why was there a conflict?

Not sure why, Peter will probably give an explanation.

> Is this how git is supposed to work?

No. You should have made your changes in a separate branch instead of a
master branch. Then, you submit your patches. When they are merged, you
do "git pull" in your master branch. And then "git branch -d
yourbranch". If everything has been merged, "git branch -d" will
succeed, otherwise it will fail (and you can use "git branch -D" to
remove a branch that hasn't been merged).

This is at least how I'm contributing to Buildroot. Not necessarly the
cleanest way, I'm no git expert.

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
consulting, training and support.