[Buildroot] OT: git workflow question

Peter Korsgaard jacmet at uclibc.org
Wed Dec 16 20:20:06 UTC 2009

Hi,

 >> No. You should have made your changes in a separate branch
 >> instead of a master branch.

 Grant> Thanks.  That's the clue I was missing.  The tutorials I had
 Grant> read on git didn't say that -- they showed all work being done
 Grant> in the master branch.

That can work for quick edits, but then you need to remove the commit
before pulling updates in (git reset --hard origin/master).
I would recommend just creating a branch instead though as it's so
easy/fast to do in git (and it allows you to use git-rebase).

 >> This is at least how I'm contributing to Buildroot. Not
 >> necessarly the cleanest way, I'm no git expert.

 Grant> I certainly sounds like a better approach that what I was doing.

And it's what I would consider the "normal" way of working (it's atleast
how I do it when I contribute something to a project using git).

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard