[Buildroot] BR + CT-NG integration

Gustavo Zacarias gustavo at zacarias.com.ar
Tue Dec 22 12:44:09 UTC 2009

Will Newton wrote:

> I don't know what AXIS internal plans are, but it would appear by "not
> available publically", they mean they are getting out of the chip
> business (selling ETRAX SoCs) and becoming a pure IP supplier. If
> that's the case you will still see CRIS architecture chips but from
> other vendors.

Very unlikely since CRIS is a propietary architecture from Axis which is
probably covered by some patents.
On a limb i'm betting they decided that maintaining their own
architecture wasn't worth the effort and they'll be switching to
something more generally-available like ARM or MIPS.
Remember they're mostly a netcam company, not a silicon or IP one. Their
ARTPEC chips (the engine behind their cams) were never sold, they were
for internal consumption.
Acme systems (www.acmesystems.it) which sold a range of products based
on their Etrax SoCs completely switched to ARM if that's any indication.