[Buildroot] Multiple architectures best practices?

Terry Forrest zippybot7 at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 29 19:44:51 UTC 2009

[apologies for the duplicate - previous note lacked a subject ]

Hi All - new to buildroot and am impressed!  Nice design
and implementation.

We would like to use BR to build for two architectures from
the same tree.  We can use a local x86 for a "simulation" mode,
and the target is arm.  I see that this is cleanly supported in the
2009.11 release.

My question is on a "best practice" for this.  I've set up
a top-level Makefile that goes something like this:

TOPDIR    = path_to_my_top
BUILD   = ${TOPDIR}/build
BUILDROOT = buildroot-2009.11
BROOT    = ${BUILD}/${BUILDROOT}

setup-x86:
    cp configs/buildroot-config-x86 ${BROOT}/.config
    ${MAKE} -C ${BROOT} oldconfig

setup-arm:
    cp configs/buildroot-config-arm ${BROOT}/.config
    ${MAKE} -C ${BROOT} oldconfig

build-x86: setup-x86
    make -C ${BROOT} O=${BUILD}/output_x86

build-arm: setup-arm
    make -C ${BROOT} O=${BUILD}/output_arm

This seems to work okay - any comments or warnings?
Again, I'm new to BR and want to make sure I'm not
gonna step in anything.

Thanks!
Terry