[Buildroot] Binary toolchain fails

Peter Korsgaard jacmet at uclibc.org
Sun Feb 1 13:06:36 UTC 2009

 Ulf> I am testing the binary toolchain, with a toolchain built
 Ulf> by another buildroot project.

The external toolchain stuff? That's afaik known to not work.

 Ulf> Several packages does not build correctly.

 Ulf> "-lintl" and "-liconv are" not found.

Strange, so the packages don't respect CFLAGS / LDFLAGS?

 Ulf> Examples are "e2fsprogs" and "libgpg-error"

 Ulf> by doing

 Ulf> ifeq	($(BR2_PACKAGE_LIBICONV),y)
 Ulf> LIBGPG_ERROR_CONF_OPT += --with-libiconv-prefix=$(STAGING_DIR)/usr
 Ulf> endif

 Ulf> ifeq	($(BR2_PACKAGE_LIBINTL),y)
 Ulf> LIBGPG_ERROR_CONF_OPT += --with-libintl-prefix=$(STAGING_DIR)/usr
 Ulf> endif

And what about the 10s of other libraries we have? To me it seems like
something else is broken in the external toolchain stuff, and this is
just pampering over it.

 Ulf> KERNEL HEADERS
 Ulf> --------------
 Ulf> If you build just the toolchain to, lets say, /usr/local/arm/gcc-4.3.2,
 Ulf> and use this directory as GCCROOT in your external toolchain,
 Ulf> you have no kernel-headers.

 Ulf> Should the kernel headers really be installed in
 Ulf> toolchain_build_ARCH/linux?
 Ulf> Why not in "$(STAGING_DIR)/usr/include/linux" ?

 Ulf> If you are not building a toolchain from source, then
 Ulf> the kernel-headers target is not available.
 Ulf> I moved them out from the if BUILDROOT_TOOLCHAIN_SOURCE
 Ulf> clause so they build for me, but I think that
 Ulf> is the wrong solution and generating the headers in
 Ulf> "$(STAGING_DIR)/usr/include/linux" is better.

 Ulf> Comments?

The kernel headers are pretty closely related to the C library, and
hence the toolchain, so my initial thought is that it sounds wrong.
But if you want to work on making the external toolchain stuff less
broken AFTER the release, then that's fine as long as it doesn't add
too much complications and the internal toolchain stuff keeps working.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard