[Buildroot] What's up with the kernel names? (Again)

Ulf Samuelsson ulf.samuelsson at atmel.com
Mon Feb 9 17:24:00 UTC 2009

fre 2009-02-06 klockan 12:31 -0200 skrev Thiago A. Corrêa:
> On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 6:56 AM, Ulf Samuelsson <ulf.samuelsson at atmel.com> wrote:
> > Can we agree on
> > $(PROJECT)-linux-$(LINUX_VERSION)$(<XXX>_SUFFIX).$(<XXX>_EXT)
> >
> > and leave $(DATE) in SUFFIX?
> >
> > This is a stable name, and also gives the information I require.
> >

> What's wrong with ROOTFS_SUFFIX = -$(PROJECT)-$(LINUX_VERSION)$(DATE) ?
>
> You will get everything you had before, albeit in a different order
> (uImage-myprojec-2.6.28-20080106)

Which breaks the U-Boot autoscripts.

It also makes it harder to get an overview if you list
a directory and files pertaining to a single board are spread out all
over when you sort in alphabetical order.

If I do ls, I'd like to have the files together.

> I work on different projects all the time, most of the time more than
> 2, and I don't see how that information is usefull at all. All I
> really need to preserve is a copy of buildroot and dl folder. On the
> other hand, the support ppl just need to preserve the firmware image
> (rootfs in this case). Binaries are of no use to a developer, we need
> is to be able to reproduce builds.

A lot of people just want to upload prebuilt binaries
in the initial evaluation phase of a new MCU.
Later they want to develop stuff.

When you build 10 boards and keep the binaries in /tftpboot
you want to know what they are.

> Whenever I need to update something in a product, it usually goes in a
> full system update. The kernel is no speciall case for updates, it's
> just one of the many stuff in rootfs.
>
> On the other hand, during developent, you will often need to repeat
> the build with the same configuration over and over. Specially if you,
> like me, needs to add your own custom programs in there. It doesn't
> make any sense then having several binaries of all your previous
> failled attempts.
>
> But please, again notice, that we are not forcing our way on others.
> It's still possible to get all that info into the generated files if
> you want. Plus, if you have many different projects, you know which
> kernel belongs to each rootfs, since the suffix matches.

I need it in this specific order.
I also would like to avoid unneccesary problems
due to someone forgetting to update strings.

You need to have a single filename which does not change.

I have proposed something that can be static.

> Ulf> If you add KERNEL_VERSION to the root fs name you do things
> Ulf> automatically, if you dont then everything is manually, and you
> Ulf> have a risk of mismatch between name and actual version.  I
> Ulf> would not mind that the rootfs contains kernel version, but it
> Ulf> will break the at91 u-boot autoscripts which means that it
> Ulf> should avoided at this point, and introduced in a future
> Ulf> buildroot.
>
> I suspect that the autoscript generation uses the same variable as the
> kernel build. Otherwise it's impossible to predict your current naming
> scheme. If so, it wouldn't break anything, as the variable is
> preserved, just it's contents changed slightly.

If you want to do changes, then you need to test and verify that it
works.
And I repeat, I want all files related to a specific project
to be sorted together.