[Buildroot] What's up with the kernel names? (Again)

Peter Korsgaard jacmet at uclibc.org
Tue Feb 10 09:17:37 UTC 2009

Hi,

 >> Why? It looks like it uses LINUX26_KERNEL_NAME.
 >>

 Ulf> They work with the patches to u-boot which assumes
 Ulf> that the name look like they used to.
 Ulf> If the new naming remains, who is going to fix the u-boot patches?

See, that's the problem about adding feature patches to BR. Don't
expect other developers to spend time on fixing those things up.

 Ulf> AGAIN: How can you RETROACTIVELY set _SUFFIX/_PREFIX
 Ulf> if you forgot to set _SUFFIX/_PREFIX and thus
 Ulf> overwrote another project.

Another project would have another BR2_PROJECT setting, and hence use
another directory, right? That was the idea behind the project thing,
wasn't it?

 Ulf> Which again means fixing u-boot patches.
 Ulf> Who is going to do that
 Ulf> You suggested previously that the person breaking the build
 Ulf> needs to fix it.
 Ulf> Does that still apply?

For bugfixes yes, but for feature patches for some kind of hardware
the developer might not have access to - No.

Sure, we should try to make sure everything still works, but we also
HAVE to make it easy to do so - That means among others that the
various platforms should behave similary.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard