[Buildroot] Shell history w/ ASH spans multiple ash instances

Eric Malkowski eric at bvwireless.net
Thu Feb 19 05:12:32 UTC 2009

Hi all-

In the past, if multiple shells were started on console and ssh for
instance, the command history was always unique per shell instance.

It seems the "ash" shell now likes to save history in /root/.ash_history
periodically?   and at odd points, command history from one shell starts
showing up in another.
This gets very annoying when I'm trying to recall the last command I
CTRL-C'd out of for instance, but I get the "top" of the history from
some "other" shell instance.

I tried making /etc/profile and /root/.bashrc NOT set the env vars
HISTSIZE and HISTFILESIZE, but ash still keeps writing stuff to
/root/.ash_history and "polluting" history for my various shell instances.

I'm tempted to turn off CONFIG_FEATURE_EDITING_HISTORY and
CONFIG_FEATURE_EDITING_SAVEHISTORY in the busybox config, but I still
want to be able to use up-arrow in shells to get history -- I just don't
want it being saved to .ash_history and loaded into the history of other
shells -- just saving history to .ash_history when a shell exits is
fine, it's this "live updating" of it I'd like to get rid of.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

BTW: I'm using busybox 1.13.2 per stock buildroot config.

-Eric Malkowski