[Buildroot] Buildroot maintainer and stable releases

Peter Korsgaard jacmet at uclibc.org
Wed Jan 7 08:27:34 UTC 2009

>>>>> "Markus" == Markus Heidelberg <markus.heidelberg at web.de> writes:

(resend with trimmed Cc line to please mailman)

Hi,

 >> buildroot is the recommended solution for avr32 users anyway.

 Markus> I wonder, why many of the patches are also included in uClibc's
 Markus> Buildroot then.

Me too.

 Markus> Don't the avr32 users use Atmel's Buildroot? I'm an avr32
 Markus> user myself and only use Atmel's Buildroot for
 Markus> development. One drawback is that I'm not up-to-date with
 Markus> uClibc, because these changes are only seldom merged into the
 Markus> Atmel branches, only short before their release
 Markus> candidates. So I end up working on another file base, which
 Markus> doesn't ease integration of changes into uClibc's
 Markus> Buildroot. I could merge myself, a branch "upstream" is
 Markus> available and is updated often, but that doesn't make sense
 Markus> somehow. I haven't yet tried it, so I don't know whether it
 Markus> will cause some hassle or not.

I don't know anything about this Atmel fork (where is it?), but as
avr32 is maturing, long term I don't see why we cannot support it in
uclibc buildroot.

Right now things are kind of a mess as avr32 is lacking from most
upstream projects, so there's lots of big patches involved. As things
are now, I don't see missing avr32 as a showstopper for a first
release.

 Ulf> You have complained about size of patches, and
 Ulf> that is why there is a prepatched toolchain for AVR32.
 Ulf> If that is not considered to be OK, then the several
 Ulf> MBytes of patches has to be introduced into the trunk.
 >>
 >> It's not the size in bytes as such, it's the special casing and
 >> (effectively) black box patches. Even when you test your changes on
 >> multiple archs there's a fairly big change that you break stuff for
 >> avr32/at91, or that you guys break it for the other archs. The same
 >> with moving packages to new versions or removing old versions, you
 >> cannot expect other people to forward port those arch specific
 >> patches.

 Markus> Yes, mplayer for example is more than 2 years old and includes a huge
 Markus> avr32 patch.

Exactly. Who will redo this patch if I bump the mplayer version?

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard