[Buildroot] Buildroot maintainer and stable releases

Thomas Lundquist lists at zelow.no
Wed Jan 7 20:22:43 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 08:26:17PM +0100, Ulf Samuelsson wrote:

> It doesn't rebuild automatically right now.
>
> I think that this is the main reason why I think
> the toolchain should be separate.

> When the toolchain has been build it should generate
> Config.in files automatically, which is included
> by the Buildroot Config.in.

With only the options working with that specific toochain?

That will hide the users real options.

> You will then have access to the toolchain
> parameters, but you will not have the ability
> to add packages depending on non avaialble options.

If it is possible to know this, the opposite is possible too, and that is
to keep the available options instead of hiding it but show / tell the
user that this will result in a recompiled toolchain.

(One reason I am a bit recultant to do this automagically, that it turning on the
 nessesary toolchain options is that options like WCHAR adds alot.)

> If you can change an option easily which forces the rebuild
> of a toolchian, then you can also change an option by
> mistake making you lose a couple of hours...

Figuring out that the one little thing you wanted would be available if
you just turned on something in the toolchain takes alot longer and
frustrates alot more. That is the *users* time wasted, not CPU time.

I'd rather have a warning of some sort.

Thomas.