[Buildroot] Buildroot maintainer and stable releases

Peter Korsgaard jacmet at uclibc.org
Thu Jan 8 09:00:37 UTC 2009

Hi,

 >> Figuring out that the one little thing you wanted would be
 >> available if you just turned on something in the toolchain takes
 >> alot longer and frustrates alot more. That is the *users* time
 >> wasted, not CPU time.

 Ulf> You need the information, but if you instead of:

 Ulf> [ ] socat

 Ulf> would get

 Ulf> --- socat -- needs toolchain with WCHAR

 Ulf> Would that be uncacceptable?

That's what we have already for a bunch of packages.

 Ulf> Maybe you could get an even better
 Ulf> description if each package had
 Ulf> a menuconfig if the package cannot be
 Ulf> selected with the package name in CAPITALS.

 Ulf> [ ] NO SOCAT

 Ulf> If cyou check the box you get
 Ulf>
 Ulf> [*] NO SOCAT
 Ulf> --- toolchain must be built with WCHAR enabled
 Ulf> --- socat requires pacakge <x>

No, packages should just select their (library) dependencies, instead
of asking the user to hunt around for those dependencies.

So in short:
 - Depend on toolchain details (and display comment if not available)
 - Select package dependencies

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard