[Buildroot] external toolchain --sysroot

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Wed Jan 14 10:04:34 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 10:43:09AM +0100, Bernhard Reutner-Fischer wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 10:11:30AM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
>
> >Right. I notice that --sysroot is being used even if gcc is compiled
> >without it. And it appears that sysroot is buggy in gcc 4.1.2, which is
> >what I'm using currently.
>
> The whole gcc-4.1.x series is discontinued and not maintained anymore.
> You would be better off to use a somewhat current toolchain or at least
> avoid versions that are known to be broken (like sysroot and 4.1.x).
> Sysroot support is deliberately marked as unavailable for anything older
> than the 4.2.x series for good reasons -- see toolchain/gcc/Config.in

Yes it is, but package/Makefile.in doesn't use that setting, but uses
--sysroot regardless for the external toolchain.

Anyway, gcc 4.3.2 / armeb / EABI seems to build. When I first started
with buildroot I couldn't get anything better than 4.1.2 / OABI to
build, so I stuck with it. Mind you, I couldn't build anything else
after the toolchain - still need to debug that.

Hamish