[Buildroot] svn commit: trunk/buildroot/target/linux

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Tue Jan 27 12:56:50 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 10:35:20PM +0100, Ulf Samuelsson wrote:

> >  ulf> Log:
> >
> >  ulf> Replace BUILDROOT_KERNEL_CONFIG_METHOD environment variable with
> >  ulf> BUILDROOT_USE_XWINDOWS
> >  >>
> >  >> Why are you doing this after I explicitly said:
> >  >>
> >  >> Let's not add any more undocumented command line options for such
> >  >> special cases like this.
> >  >>

> >  Ulf> It is documented now!
> >
> > That doesn't make it any less of a special case.
>
> You are again, not only trying to establish a default behaviour
> You are trying to FORCE other to accept your preferences.
>
> I think you are really out of line.
>
> I do not want to use menuconfig.
> I do not want to update configs manually to get my preferred behaviour.

Why don't you just pass BR2_KERNEL_CONFIG_METHOD in your own environment?
No need for extra variables and all this other stuff.

> I suspect that there are others that feel the same.
> Why can't you accept that!

Sorry Ulf, I don't think you are being reasonable. The default needs to
be the same everywhere - it doesn't make any sense to have a mix of
menuconfig and xconfig interfaces.

The current logic of trying xconfig then menuconfig is very ugly - does
it allow you to abort xconfig without falling back?

I use X and I never use xconfig.

Hamish