[Buildroot] alsa lib problem

Peter Korsgaard jacmet at uclibc.org
Tue Jan 27 12:56:16 UTC 2009

 >> Make a patch for alsa, and send it upstream to the alsa maintainers.
 >> They need to fix broken code like this anyway.

 Will> Happy to prepare a patch for upstream. However can someone explain to
 Will> me what is broken in alsa? Looking at the code the declaration of the
 Will> struct is identical in the kernel code and the copy of the header in
 Will> alsa. How is it that the size of off_t is different?

Without largefile enabled off_t is a 32bit type (on 32bit archs), but
with largefile enabled it's a 64bit type. The kernel only accepts a
32bit type, so things break.

Looking closer at it, off_t in the kernel is a typedef of
__kernel_off_t, which seems to be a long on all archs.

In other words, the fix seems to be a simple s/off_t/long/

You are welcome to CC me on the mail to the alsa list.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard