[Buildroot] So what do we do about all the unmaintained boards?

Ulf Samuelsson ulf.samuelsson at atmel.com
Thu Jan 29 18:23:33 UTC 2009

tor 2009-01-29 klockan 17:47 +0100 skrev Peter Korsgaard:

>  >> Huh? I don't see any references to such variables under project.
>  >>
>  Ulf> No, but I think you suggested that if this is to be general thing,
>  Ulf> it could be a configuration item under /project.
>
>  Ulf> The way BOARD_NAME is implemented today
>  Ulf> is that you select a board and maybe set some options,
>  Ulf> and then Kconfig deduces the board name from that
>  Ulf> so it is really not something the user inputs.
>
> So what's the BR2_BOARD_NAME thing for? Having it like you just
> described is no good for people building stuff without having one of
> those boards selected as they then cannot set BOARD_NAME.

It is also used to define which directory
contains other configuration items.

BR2_BOARD_PATH="target/device/Atmel/$(BOARD_NAME)

As you see, there is only a small number of acceptable values.

It is also used for U-Boot.
make $(BOARD_NAME)_config

so you do not have to specify manually the boardname.

For the SAM9263 you can build several u-boot targets like

at91sam9263ek_dataflash_cs0
at91sam9263ek_dataflash_cs1
at91sam9263ek_nandflash

and this list will grow as support for different bootoptions
becomes more advanced.

It is too much to expect that people should remember
the exact name of such configurations.

> Individual boards may want to override the setting, but it should
> still be available.

BR
Ulf Samuelsson