[Buildroot] External toolchain improvements

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Tue Jul 14 14:41:09 UTC 2009

Hello Lionel,

Le Mon, 13 Jul 2009 21:26:02 +0200,
Lionel Landwerlin <lionel.landwerlin at openwide.fr> a écrit :

> Just a word about the choice to put the EXTERNAL_LIBS variable in
> toolchain/external-toolchain/ext-tool.mk. I don't think it's a good
> choice. For example, my current toolchain includes a glibc version
> 2.6. This make the ld-linux loader name /lib/ld-linux.so.2 instead
> of /lib/ld-linux.so.3.
>
> Modifying an enormous variable inside kconfig is painful, but I think
> it's better to let this variable configurable rather than encourage
> the buildroot user to modify an unfriendly makefile
> (toolchain/external-toolchain/ext-tool.mk).

This is also something I've discovered recently. I'd like to spend some
time to see if it's still possible to auto-detect the version of the
libraries to copy. If it doesn't work, then I fallback to the previous
solution, which I don't find really nice.

Sincerly,

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
consulting, training and support.