[Buildroot] How to get symbolic debugging to work?

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 14:45:01 UTC 2009

On 2009-06-24, Sven Neumann <s.neumann at raumfeld.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-06-23 at 18:18 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
>> On 2009-06-22, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I've given up temporarily on getting thread support to work in
>>> gdbserver.  Now I'm just trying (and failing) to get basic
>>> symbolic debugging to work.
>>
>> Gdb 6.8 just plain doesn't work for ARM targets.
>>
>> I switched to 6.7.1, and it works fine (including debugging
>> multiple threaded apps).
>
> I've now tried this change as well, but it doesn't help with
> our problem. Whatever I try, gdb always immidiately receives
> SIGCHLD and dies:
>
> gdb /usr/bin/image-test
> GNU gdb 6.7.1
> [...]
> This GDB was configured as "arm-linux-uclibcgnueabi"...

I'm afraid I don't have enough memory to use a target-native
gdb -- I have to use gdbserver on the target and a cross-gdb on
another development host.  IIRC, I'm also using OABI and not
EABI.

> Using host libthread_db library "/lib/libthread_db.so.1".
> (gdb) r
> Starting program: /usr/bin/image-test
> warning: Can not parse XML target description; XML support was disabled
> at compile time
>
> [1]+  Stopped(SIGCHLD)        gdb /usr/bin/image-test
>
> That's the same result that I also got with gdb 6.8, except that I
> didn't get the warning about the XML target description with that
> version.
>
> Our platform is armv5tel with EABI

You could try using gdbserver, but my _guess_ is it's an
EABI/OABI issue.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! We're going to a
                                  at               new disco!