[Buildroot] Build fails with external toolchain (sysroots error)

Daniel Jabbour daniel at laptouchinc.com
Tue Mar 24 20:26:19 UTC 2009

Hi,

I have configured buildroot to use an external toolchain provided by
the manufacturer of my board. This is a glibc toolchain. I am able to
cross compile against it outside of buildroot.

However, when I try to make buildroot, it exits with the following
configure error when trying to build "lzo":

configure:2090: checking for C compiler default output file name
configure:2093: /opt/jztoolchain//bin/mipsel-linux-gcc -O2  -I/home/
djabbour/source/buildroot/build_mips/staging_dir/include -I/home/
djabbour/source/buildroot/build_mips/staging_dir/usr/include -I/opt/
jztoolchain//mipsel-linux/include --sysroot /home/djabbour/source/
buildroot/build_mips/staging_dir/ -O2  -I/home/djabbour/source/
buildroot/build_mips/staging_dir/include -I/home/djabbour/source/
buildroot/build_mips/staging_dir/usr/include -I/opt/jztoolchain//
mipsel-linux/include --sysroot /home/djabbour/source/buildroot/
build_mips/staging_dir/  -L/home/djabbour/source/buildroot/build_mips/
staging_dir/lib -L/home/djabbour/source/buildroot/build_mips/
staging_dir/usr/lib conftest.c  >&5
/opt/jztoolchain/bin/../lib/gcc/mipsel-linux/4.1.2/../../../../mipsel-
linux/bin/ld: this linker was not configured to use sysroots
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:2096: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h.  */
|
| #define PACKAGE_NAME "lzo"
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME "lzo"
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION "2.03"
| #define PACKAGE_STRING "lzo 2.03"
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT "markus at oberhumer.com"
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
|
| int
| main ()
| {
|
|   ;
|   return 0;
| }
configure:2135: error: C compiler cannot create executables

How can I resolve this issue? From my understanding, it seems like the
sysroots flag is unsupported in my toolchain. Can buildroot work
without this option? Thanks,

--
Daniel Jabbour
Software Engineer