[Buildroot] Creating a filesystem for Real Time Linux using QEMU

Bogdan Cristea cristeab at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 05:22:41 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 17 November 2009 02:18:41 you wrote:
> Bogdan Cristea wrote:
> > On Monday 16 November 2009 10:51:33 you wrote:
> >> Add "rw" to your append command.
> >>
> >> So change it to -append "root=/dev/sda rw"
> >
> > Thanks for the tip, it allows me to write to the virtual hard disk, but
> > still the changes are not permanent.
>
> Hi,
>
> Hmm weird.
>
> This is what I use to start qemu for 386:
>
>     qemu -kernel bzImage.1 -hda hd.img -append "root=/dev/sda rw
> init=./init"
>

> And this is what I use for mips emulation:
>
>     ../repos/mipsel-softmmu/qemu-system-mipsel -M malta --kernel
> ./vmlinux -hda hda256m-img -append "root=/dev/hda rw" -m 128 -nographic
>
> In both cases any changes I make in the file system during emulation is
> persistent.
>
> Did you also check the file permission of the virtual disk drive you are
> using? But if rw the you should have seen that the kernel is complaining
> when trying to write anything to the disk.
>
> Hedwin Koning.

Well, I have tried to change the root password and add a new user and it seems
that the changes are not always recorded.

However I have just begun to play with RT Linux in QEMU, but with the latest
file system I have managed to compile I have been able to add a new user and
change the fstab file. So thank you all for your help.