[Buildroot] How do I configure the kernel?

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 20:01:17 UTC 2009

On 2009-11-23, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2009-11-22, Peter Korsgaard <jacmet at uclibc.org> wrote:
>
>> Grant> The next question was going to be where do I put a kernel
>> Grant> .config file if I already have one I want to use.  I can
>> Grant> probably do a "find" to search for files named .config and
>> Grant> figure out which is the right one. Then I assume I do "make
>> Grant> linux26-oldconfig"?
>>
>> Use the LINUX26_KCONFIG environment variable, similar to
>> BUSYBOX_CONFIG_FILE / UCLIBC_CONFIG_FILE. I'll also update the doc about
>> that one.
>
> Sorry to be so dense, but I still don't get it.  I've got a
> .config file I want to use as the starting point for a
> "make oldconfig".  I can point LINUX26_KCONFIG at that .config
> file, but how do I do the "make oldconfig" step?

I got a working kernel by

 0) pick the arch, board, target filesystem options, etc.

 1) do a "make" and build everything (including a non-working kernel)

 2) overwrite output/build/linux-2.6.30.2/.config with my old
    but "working" config file.

 3) "make ARCH=arm oldconfig" in the  output/build/linux-2.6.30.2
    directory

That doesn't feel like the proper way to do it, but it seems to
have worked.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! Zippy's brain cells
                                  at               are straining to bridge