[Buildroot] [RFC] *clean targets

Peter Korsgaard jacmet at uclibc.org
Fri Oct 9 11:28:04 UTC 2009

Hi,

 >> * On the clean target
 >>
 >> I see that all the stamps are removed. So this will trigger
 >> basically a reconfigure + rebuild of all packages. Is this what we
 >> want ?

 Bernhard> yes, this is what i as a user would expect.
 Bernhard> Something broke, i have to rebuild stuff, so i
 Bernhard> make clean ; make

So in other words, we should just have clean and distclean, where the
only difference between those two is that clean doesn't delete your
.config?

 >> Same question as before: is removing the target/ directory without
 >> removing the staging/ directory really safe ?
 >>
 >> Removing $(IMAGE) will not do anything, since $(IMAGE) is the prefix
 >> for the filesystem images. I.e, the tar image is $(IMAGE).tar.

 Bernhard> the IMAGE was there already. Ask Ulf what it was ment to be.

Ok, but lets really fix up stuff now that we're changing these things.

 >> Shouldn't we just remove $(BINARIES_DIR) ?

 Bernhard> works for me, but they have to be regenerated anyway, so not
 Bernhard> much point, i'd say.

They should imho get removed so the user doesn't get confused if the
build fails, but they still see (old) binaries in BINARIES_DIR.

But ok, moot point if we make clean remove everything.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard