[Buildroot] setting up buildroot for using OLD gcc / binutils

W.P. laurentp at wp.pl
Mon Oct 12 22:50:38 UTC 2009

Użytkownik Bernhard Reutner-Fischer napisał:

>>>  W> Hi,
>>>  W> how can I set up CURRENT buildroot to use OLD gcc/binutils/kernel/uClibc?
>>>  W> I need gcc 3.4.4, kernel 2.6.12.6-venus, uClibc 0.9.28?
>>>
>>> Some older toolchain versions are available if you enable BR_DEPRECATED
>>> (Build options->Show packages that are deprecated or obsolete). It won't
>>> give you those exact options, but it might be close enough.
>>>

>> Almost :(
>>
>> With choosing this option I am able to select gcc down-to 3.4.6,
>> binutils 2.17, uClibc 0.9.28.3, kernel 2.6.2x ...
>>
>> Could you point me to the file where are these choices are in? If I know
>> in what file, then adding an option ex. to gcc 3.4.4 instead of 3.4.6
>> should be easy...
>>

> not really since you have to patch it.
> See toolchain/gcc/Config.in
>
> I'm curious why you think you need a compiler that is so full of
> bugs compared to let's say the current 4.x series?

There is a system (Manta "Multimedia Recorder" HDD-2000 = Shenzen Mele
HMC-35HD) that was build using (i am almost sure after several hours of
googling) using those versions of tools. And binutils: 2.16 or even
2.15. I want to be able to build some kernel modules, so (correct me if
I am wrong) I need EXACT versions of tools/configure options to do so.

BTW It looks crazy, those Chinese/Taiwanese developpers (Mele, Edimax,
maybe others) seems to be TIED to gcc 3.4.4(3).....
(look at published Edimax toolchains for BR-6204Wg, BR-6104KP...)

BTW2: looks Manta(Poland) violates GPL.... : there is NO mention about
sources on their web.

W.P.