[Buildroot] setting up buildroot for using OLD gcc / binutils

Sebastian bastisoft at arcor.de
Wed Oct 14 20:40:52 UTC 2009

Hello,

>> You can always use an older version of buildroot.
>> [...]
>>
> Sorry, don't understand. I need to make cross-compile environement with
> following "parameters":
>
> gcc: 3.4.4
> binutils 2.15.94
> kernel 2.6.12.6-venus
> uClibc 0.9.28
> busybox 1.1.3
>
> and i am trying to do this with buildroot. could you help?

Do the following:

$ git clone git://git.buildroot.net/buildroot
$ cd buildroot/
$ git reset --hard gcc3_legacy
$ make menuconfig

Make sure to activate
"Build options" --> "Show packages that are deprecated or obsolete"

Now you have a version which allows you to use:

gcc 3.4.4
binutils 2.15 or 2.15.94.0.2.2
kernel 2.6.12
uClibc 0.9.28
busybox 1.1.3

You probably can't get closer to your wished versions (easily).

I don't know what your "-venus" kernel means, but if you want to build a
kernel module without the _exact_ sources you will probably be out of luck.

Make sure you tell us if it works! :-)

I do not know how to operate git, and I could not find any reference to
the old SVN repository (if it still exists...), so you may be better off
asking someone else.

I hope I could help,

Best regards,
Sebastian