[Buildroot] [RFC; PATCH] Use gdbserver from external toolchain

Anders Darander anders.darander at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 07:32:11 UTC 2009

Hi Thomas,

On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 17:25, Thomas Petazzoni
> This feature is of course very welcome, but I'd like to see the
> external toolchain support to be extended to toolchains not generated
> by Crosstool-NG (Codesourcery toolchains, for example, are still on my
> TODO-list).

Yes, this would definitely be desirable.

> Can we imagine a way of making this more generic ? Maybe we could
> detect the toolchain «type» and act differently depending on this type ?

Currently I see no way on changing the menuentries depending on the
toolchain type (here I assume type is Crosstool-NG, Codesourcery,
etc...) Thus we will not know if there is any gdbserver in the
toolchain...

However, in the ext-tool.mk, we should be able to at least query the
toolchain for the configuration and parse that information, and decide
from what source the toolchain comes.

I could implement such a feature, although, I'd probably only be able
to verify that it works on a crosstool-NG based toolchain. The
necessary logics for other toolchains will have to be provided by
someone using them.

I'll see if I can squeeze such an implementation into the work
schedule for this week.

Regards,
Anders