[Buildroot] busybox question

Roman Chertov rchertov at cs.ucsb.edu
Wed Oct 28 04:25:41 UTC 2009

Hello,

I have an ARM920T board that I am trying to get going with buildroot and
uClibc.  I managed to compile the kernel, and it boots up to the point
where the login must happen.  Nothing happens at that point.  However,
the machine runs as I can ping it.  I have tried to init=/bin/sh
init=/bin/ethtool, but I did not get any output to indicate that
something started.

I have the following question.  I can build the default image on the
board (Debian 2.4, glibc) and mount the buildroot root fs over NFS.
However, if I try to execute any program, I get the following errors:

root at ts7000:bin# ./busybox
-bash: ./busybox: No such file or directory

I would expect that at least the program would start and then an error
would occur due to the fact that uClibc is not present.  I am correct in
assuming this?  I am trying to debug if I screwed the cross compiling
(although Linux kernel boots), or if there is a problem with the init
process.

I would appreciate some insight into this issue.

Thanks,

Roman