[Buildroot] A more readable build output ?

Peter Korsgaard jacmet at uclibc.org
Thu Sep 17 07:10:23 UTC 2009

 Thomas> Hello,
 Thomas> Currently, Buildroot displays the full build log on the standard
 Thomas> output. Having the full build log is of course nice, but:

 Thomas>  *) It is quite scary for new users

 Thomas>  *) It makes it more complicated for new users to understand the
 Thomas>     different steps of the Buildroot build process

 Thomas>  *) It makes it more complicated to see the progression of the build
 Thomas>     process (what is it doing now ? is it almost at the end ?)

 Thomas> Therefore, I've prototyped a simple thing that redirects the
 Thomas> build log to a file (so that the full build log is not lost and
 Thomas> can be examined for diagnostic purposes) and only display
 Thomas> messages like "Doing this", "Doing that" on the standard
 Thomas> output. The goal is to disable this behaviour when V=1 is
 Thomas> passed, but this isn't implemented yet.

We basically have this already when you build with 'make -s'. It's not
quite as quiet as we could wish, and non-makefile.autotools.in packages
don't print their steps, but we could probably fix that.

We can argue about what the default should be though, as the output is
quite interesting for debugging purposes when things go wrong (your
suggestion about logging to a file is nice).

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard