[Buildroot] Enabling oprofiler package on buildroot-2009.08 (MIPS cross-compilation)

Joe tech joetech20 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 11:31:51 UTC 2009

I managed to cross compile binutils for mips arch & generate .so files. But
the my utlimate objective of running oprofiler on target is not met yet. I
get the following error on the console, when i run 'opreport' on the console
*/ # opreport
" opreport error: No sample file found: try running opcontrol --dump
or specify a session containing sample files "*

looks like the oprofiler is running, but /var/lib/oprofile/samples/current
directory is empy. Oprogiled.log show the following output.

*/var/lib/oprofile/samples # cat oprofiled.log
oprofiled started Wed Dec 31 17:06:03 1969
kernel pointer size: 4*
*Wed Dec 31 17:09:30 1969*
*Nr. sample dumps: 2
Nr. non-backtrace samples: 0
Nr. kernel samples: 0
Nr. lost samples (no kernel/user): 0
Nr. lost kernel samples: 0
Nr. incomplete code structs: 0
Nr. samples lost due to sample file open failure: 0
Nr. samples lost due to no permanent mapping: 0
Nr. event lost due to buffer overflow: 0
Nr. samples lost due to no mapping: 0
Nr. backtraces skipped due to no file mapping: 0
Nr. samples lost due to no mm: 0
Nr. samples lost cpu buffer overflow: 0
Nr. samples received: 0
Nr. backtrace aborted: 0
Nr. samples lost invalid pc: 0
oprofiled stopped Wed Dec 31 17:09:30 1969*

Does anybody have any clue on the reason behind this error ? Is this some
how related to incorrect bfd library usage??? Please  let me know if anyone
has any suggestion for a way to debug this issue further.

-Joe