[Buildroot] multiple architectures

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Wed Sep 30 08:31:37 UTC 2009

Le Wed, 30 Sep 2009 10:13:22 +0200,
Bjørn Forsman <bjorn.forsman at gmail.com> a écrit :

> How about that the default BR output directory contains an arch
> postfix? This would eliminate the need for manually setting O=
> according to the current .config. Instead it would happen
> automatically.

This was the case previously. But I don't think it's a good idea, since
it only solves partially the problem: what if you have several
projects, but all these projects use the same architecture ?

This is even more common than multiple architectures projects: you work
on ARM (for example), but you build different filesystems for different
usages of the device. In that case, a default output-arm/ directory
would not solve the problem.

A possibility would be to add a configuration option to set the output
directory path, instead of passing O=. I don't have a strong opinion on
this, but I'd prefer not to have both solutions. The fact that
Buildroot has multiple solutions to do approximately the same thing is
a large part of the confusion for our new users, and I would like to
reduce this confusion.

Sincerly,

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
consulting, training and support.