[Buildroot] Still can't build workingrootfswith crosstool-NGtoolchain

Microbit_P43000 microbit at virginbroadband.com.au
Wed Apr 21 18:25:26 UTC 2010

Hi Grant,

Indeed, the time I mention is a complete make from scratch. Xcompiler, utils, libc,
busybox, rootfs, etc.... It doesn't have to include the kernel, that takes all but 5 mins.
This is on a P4 dual CPU 3 GHz (albeit with only 1 GB ram).

I've tried external tools like codesourcery (which I dislike) and arm-elf-gcc and likes.
Either I ran into sysroot problems, or their were hissies being thrown about 90% through
building, that sort of stuff - yet again off a Sherlock Holmes to figure out in scripts
where these mysterious 'issues' come from.
I can't recall - surely I must have been doing something wrong, I guess. (I've come across
clear bugs on a couple of occasions, eg. I've got 32 bit EABI and some package (Lynx with
the latest SSL extensions IIRC) incorrectly gets a perceived 64 bit environment from host
instead of target settings.... More whinging yet again that uclibc is compiled for 32 bit
only - that sort of crap.
I need to revisit getting ext tool working for me again soon.  But yes, when I get back to
that, I really have to get the ext tool going.

Thanks for the insights, Grant - much appreciated, I'll post again when I get my feet back
under desk for linux cross-compile.

Maybe a note to the authors of Buildroot here that this doesn't mean I'm not appreciating
all their effort - on the contrary ! This surely must be a massive effort which I guess
could seem thankless, given all the 'problem traffic' on here.
Too much to learn anyhoo I say :-)

Best Regards,
Kris