[Buildroot] Still can't build workingrootfswith crosstool-NGtoolchain

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 18:33:02 UTC 2010

On 2010-04-21, Microbit_P43000 <microbit at virginbroadband.com.au> wrote:

> Indeed, the time I mention is a complete make from scratch.
> Xcompiler, utils, libc, busybox, rootfs, etc.... It doesn't have to
> include the kernel, that takes all but 5 mins. This is on a P4 dual
> CPU 3 GHz (albeit with only 1 GB ram).

The toolchain is probably 90+ percent of that.  I think you'll be far
happier if you use an external toolchain.

> I've tried external tools like codesourcery (which I dislike) and
> arm-elf-gcc and likes. Either I ran into sysroot problems, or their
> were hissies being thrown about 90% through building, that sort of
> stuff - yet again off a Sherlock Holmes to figure out in scripts
> where these mysterious 'issues' come from.

AFAIK, most of the buildroot developers use external toolchains built
by crosstools-NG (and that's what I'm now using), so that's probably
the path of least resistance.  If you like, I can send you the
crosstools-NG and uClibc config files I'm using for ARM9, but
Crosstools-NG comes with quite a few sample configs -- one of them is
probably pretty close to what you want.

Just pay close attention to ARM EABI vs. OABI.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! As President I have
                                  at               to go vacuum my coin