[Buildroot] mailinglist settings

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at anciens.enib.fr
Sun Dec 5 19:41:47 UTC 2010

On Sunday 05 December 2010 20:23:52 Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Dec 2010 08:57:27 -0600
> "Heiko Zuerker" <heiko at zuerker.org> wrote:
> > Would it be possible to set the "Reply-To" for the mailinglist to
> > buildroot at busybox.net ?
> > This way you don't always have to be manually changing the "To" when
> > replying to the list.
> This is a normal setting for a mailing-list.

Well, I would not call that 'normal setting'. I too got annoyed in the
first place, that replying would send only to the OP, not the list.
After all, one could assume that replying to a post in a ML would by
default answer to the list.

But the policy differs on different MLs, because of different expectations
of the subscribed community and list managers.

Either way, I don't care, because I have a one-catches-all policy when
answering a post on a list, see below.

> If your mailer is correct,
> it should have a "reply to list" option.

When replying to a post on a ML, I use "Reply All". This ensures that my
message:
- goes to the list
- goes to the OP, even if he/she is not subscribed
- gets noticed by a subscribed OP, even if his/her client automatically
  moves ML posts into folders.

Of course, from time to time, I may add new TO:s, or remove some, if I
need to make the message more prominent or not.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.