[Buildroot] [pull request v2] Pull request for branch for-2011.02/fix-ccache-support

Bjørn Forsman bjorn.forsman at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 10:24:40 UTC 2010

Hi Thomas,

2010/12/7 Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com>:
> Hello,
>
> On Tue, 7 Dec 2010 01:04:41 +0100
> Bjørn Forsman <bjorn.forsman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Are many packages affected?
>
> I don't remember.
>
>> If many, I'll just take your word for it and leave TARGET_CC and
>> xFLAGS variables be, but if there is only a few packages affected,
>> maybe we can fix them instead?
>
> The problem was related to libtool. And unfortunately "fix problem" and
> "libtool" in the same sentence is fairly hard to have :-)
>
> Honestly, I've spent quite a bit of time at this moment trying to find
> the solution for the --sysroot option that would work with most
> packages, without requiring to do horrible things. As things are
> working today, I'm not really willing to spend more time on this, but
> if others want, I of course won't prevent them from doing so. I'll just
> ask for some heavy testing to be done before accepting changes on
> this :-)

Ok. I'll just leave --sysroot the way it is.

>> Yes, I'd like to get this CMake toolchain file feature into Buildroot
>> as well. How about appending a toolchain file target to
>> $(2)_DEPENDENCIES in Makefile.cmake.in?
>
> Hum, why ? Do you want to use the toolchain file even to build the
> CMake-based packages in Buildroot ? Or just provide it for users to
> build external softwares outside of Buildroot ?

I haven't really decided whether to use the toolchain file internally or not.
If using it internally reduces code duplication, then maybe yes :-)
And adding the target to $(2)_DEPENDENCIES in Makefile.cmake.in
was just the first place that I thought of.

I guess the toolchain file should be generated earlier, and be generated
even if the user doesn't select any CMake packages inside Buildroot,
but I don't know where the right 'hook' in Buildroot would be for that.
Maybe when the .config file is written?

>> And place the toolchain file in output/?
>
> As it should be part of the SDK, it should probably be located in
> $(HOST_DIR) somewhere. But I'm not really clear yet on what the
> organization of the SDK should be. In the mean time, just assume you
> can put it in $(O), moving it to some other place won't be hard.

Ok. So until the SDK is ready I'll just put the toolchain file in $(O) and
don't use it internally so it will be easy to change later.

I'll post the patch series once I've rebased.

Best regards,
Bjørn Forsman